Friday, June 12, 2009

Experiment 2 - fear dread and terror (maybe)

Well - what do you think? Have I been concordant on fear, dread, and terror so far? I fear to ask. I dread the closeness of the text. And there are more synonyms that terrify me.

Remember it is for feel and sound - not as if there were absolute meanings around. The meaning is in the meeting - in the faces - in the presence. If it is terror, it is the awe of the absolute of love. Such awe as makes the guest comforted with dust and ashes.


א אִישׁ הָיָה בְאֶרֶץ עוּץ
אִיּוֹב שְׁמוֹ
וְהָיָה הָאִישׁ הַהוּא
תָּם וְיָשָׁר
וִירֵא אֱלֹהִים וְסָר מֵרָע
1.1 A man there was in the land of Uz
Job his name
and he was, the man, this very one,
complete and upright
and he fears God and turns away from evil
ח וַיֹּאמֶר יְהוָה אֶל הַשָּׂטָן
הֲשַׂמְתָּ לִבְּךָ עַל עַבְדִּי אִיּוֹב
כִּי אֵין כָּמֹהוּ בָּאָרֶץ אִישׁ
תָּם וְיָשָׁר
יְרֵא אֱלֹהִים וְסָר מֵרָע
1.8 and יְהוָה said to the accuser
have you set out in your heart concerning my servant Job?
For there is none like him in the earth
complete and upright
fearing God and turning away from evil
ט וַיַּעַן הַשָּׂטָן אֶת יְהוָה וַיֹּאמַר
הַחִנָּם יָרֵא אִיּוֹב אֱלֹהִים
1.9 And the accuser answered יְהוָה saying
Is it for nothing that Job fears God?
ג וַיֹּאמֶר יְהוָה אֶל הַשָּׂטָן
הֲשַׂמְתָּ לִבְּךָ אֶל עַבְדִּי אִיּוֹב
כִּי אֵין כָּמֹהוּ בָּאָרֶץ
אִישׁ תָּם וְיָשָׁר
יְרֵא אֱלֹהִים וְסָר מֵרָע
וְעֹדֶנּוּ מַחֲזִיק בְּתֻמָּתוֹ
וַתְּסִיתֵנִי בוֹ לְבַלְּעוֹ חִנָּם
2.3 and יְהוָה said to the accuser
have you set out in your heart concerning my servant Job?
For there is none like him in the earth
complete and upright
fearing God and turning away from evil
and still for him he prevails in his completeness
though you incited me against him to swallow him for nothing
ה יִגְאָלֻהוּ חֹשֶׁךְ וְצַלְמָוֶת
תִּשְׁכָּן-עָלָיו עֲנָנָה
יְבַעֲתֻהוּ כִּמְרִירֵי יוֹם
3.5 let darkness and obscurity redeem it
let a cloud dwell on it
let blackness of day terrify it
כה כִּי פַחַד פָּחַדְתִּי וַיֶּאֱתָיֵנִי
וַאֲשֶׁר יָגֹרְתִּי יָבֹא לִי
3.25 for the dread I dreaded has arrived
and what I was afraid of is come to me
ו הֲלֹא יִרְאָתְךָ כִּסְלָתֶךָ
תִּקְוָתְךָ וְתֹם דְּרָכֶיךָ
4.6 Is it not your fear that is your confidence
your hope and the completeness of your ways?
יד פַּחַד קְרָאַנִי וּרְעָדָה
וְרֹב עַצְמוֹתַי הִפְחִיד
4.14 dread met me and trembling
and my many bones were in dread
ד כִּי חִצֵּי שַׁדַּי עִמָּדִי
אֲשֶׁר חֲמָתָם שֹׁתָה רוּחִי
בִּעוּתֵי אֱלוֹהַּ יַעַרְכוּנִי
6.4 for the arrows of the Sufficient are against me
where their poison drinks my spirit
the terrors of God have disordered me
יד לַמָּס מֵרֵעֵהוּ חָסֶד
וְיִרְאַת שַׁדַּי יַעֲזוֹב
6.14 to one in despair from his friend
there should be loving-kindness
and the fear of the Sufficient when he is abandoned
יד וְחִתַּתַּנִי בַחֲלֹמוֹת
וּמֵחֶזְיֹנוֹת תְּבַעֲתַנִּי
7.14 then you break me with dreams
and with visions terrify me
לד יָסֵר מֵעָלַי שִׁבְטוֹ
וְאֵמָתוֹ אַל-תְּבַעֲתַנִּי
9.34 Let him turn away from me his staff
and let not his horror terrify me
לה אֲדַבְּרָה וְלֹא אִירָאֶנּוּ
כִּי לֹא-כֵן אָנֹכִי עִמָּדִי
9.35 I would speak and not fear him
for not so am I with myself
טו כִּי-אָז תִּשָּׂא פָנֶיךָ מִמּוּם
וְהָיִיתָ מֻצָק וְלֹא תִירָא
11.15 for then you will lift up your face without blemish
and you will become firm and will not fear
יא הֲלֹא שְׂאֵתוֹ תְּבַעֵת אֶתְכֶם
וּפַחְדּוֹ יִפֹּל עֲלֵיכֶם
13.11 Should not his height terrify you
and his dread fall on you
כא כַּפְּךָ מֵעָלַי הַרְחַק
וְאֵמָתְךָ אַל-תְּבַעֲתַנִּי
13.21 Your open hand put far from me
and your horror - let it not terrify me
ד אַף-אַתָּה תָּפֵר יִרְאָה
וְתִגְרַע שִׂיחָה לִפְנֵי-אֵל
15.4 Indeed you! You frustrate fear
and diminish prayer before God
כא קוֹל-פְּחָדִים בְּאָזְנָיו
בַּשָּׁלוֹם שׁוֹדֵד יְבוֹאֶנּוּ
15.21 a sound of dreadful things in his ears
in peace a robber comes upon him
כד יְבַעֲתֻהוּ צַר
וּמְצוּקָה תִּתְקְפֵהוּ
כְּמֶלֶךְ עָתִיד לַכִּידוֹר
15.24 Trouble and anguish terrify him
They will prevail against him
even as a king-hero ready for battle
יא סָבִיב בִּעֲתֻהוּ בַלָּהוֹת
וֶהֱפִיצֻהוּ לְרַגְלָיו
18.11 on every side destructions terrify him
and scatter his feet
ט בָּתֵּיהֶם שָׁלוֹם מִפָּחַד
וְלֹא שֵׁבֶט אֱלוֹהַּ עֲלֵיהֶם
21.9 their houses are at peace from dread
and the staff of God is not on them
ד הֲמִיִּרְאָתְךָ יֹכִיחֶךָ
יָבוֹא עִמְּךָ בַּמִּשְׁפָּט
22.4 will he from your fear correct you
will he come with you to judgment?
י עַל-כֵּן סְבִיבוֹתֶיךָ פַחִים
וִיבַהֶלְךָ פַּחַד פִּתְאֹם
22.10 therefore on your every side are traps
and dread dismays you suddenly
טו עַל-כֵּן מִפָּנָיו אֶבָּהֵל
אֶתְבּוֹנֵן וְאֶפְחַד מִמֶּנּוּ
23.15 therefore from his face I am troubled
I am understanding and I have dread from him
ב הַמְשֵׁל וָפַחַד עִמּוֹ
עֹשֶׂה שָׁלוֹם בִּמְרוֹמָיו
25.2 to rule and dread are with him
he makes peace in his high places
כח וַיֹּאמֶר לָאָדָם
הֵן יִרְאַת אֲדֹנָי הִיא חָכְמָה
וְסוּר מֵרָע בִּינָה
28.28 and he said to the human
lo - the fear of the Lord - that is wisdom
and to turn away from evil is understanding
Now I must off to a funeral of one of the greats of the generation of my parents.

No comments: