Tuesday, September 9, 2008

An original blogger

Bob cited Sir Francis Bacon - on Studies - a quotation remembered from childhood. I did learn something at school. But until I looked up the essay in my own little book from 54 years ago, c1954!!! (first published 1903) OUP, edited W. Peacock, I was unable to find the quote online. The whole essay is here.

STUDIES serve for delight, for ornament, and for ability.
Their chief use for delight, is in privateness and retiring;
for ornament, is in discourse;
and for ability, is in the judgment, and disposition of business.

For expert men can execute, and perhaps judge of particulars, one by one; but the general counsels, and the plots and marshalling of affairs, come best, from those that are learnèd.

To spend too much time in studies is sloth;
to use them too much for ornament, is affectation;
to make judgment wholly by their rules, is the humor of a scholar.
Worth the read - just for the rhetoric.

My life is 9's. I am 63, il y a trois jours. A complete set (7) of 9's in this indivisible year.

No comments: